Bolstering emerging initiatives tackling the root cause of pressing social problems in Los Angeles
ABOUT THE ACCELERATOR
Our Systems Change Accelerator is a nine-month intensive program designed to accelerate the growth and impact of a cohort of systems change initiatives in Los Angeles County. The Accelerator blends workshops, coaching, peer learning, and 1:1 mentoring to support nonprofit leaders in strengthening their infrastructure, increasing relationships and resources, honing and amplify their voice, and integrating core values of equity and innovation. We’ve found that supporting these foundational elements uniquely accelerate an organization’s ability to create systemic community impact.
We define systems change as work that tackles the root causes of pressing social problems. Systems change efforts (1) acknowledge the complex, interrelated political/social/economic factors contributing to a social problem, as well as the applicant organization’s role in this ecosystem, and (2) seek to address the underlying policies, processes, relationships, behaviors, and power structures that are contributing to the problem.
We see an opportunity to create exponential positive change in Los Angeles through this focus on root causes, by channeling the unique skills, networks, and expertise of the cohort and our SVP Partners (our donor volunteers with deep experience in private sector, government, and nonprofit leadership) in support of these endeavors.
The program will run from October 2018 to June 2019, and will include participation in SVP’s signature Fast Pitch Program. All participating organizations will receive an unrestricted seed grant of $10,000 and will be eligible for additional cash prizes through the Fast Pitch portion of the program.
See our current 2018-2019 Accelerator Cohort list
HOW TO APPLY
Applications open Fall 2019
Organizations must meet all of the below criteria in order to apply for the Accelerator:
● Nonprofit organization – Applicants must have a designation from the IRS as a 501(c)3 organization, or proof of fiscal sponsorship.
● Location – We have a strong preference for LA-based organizations. If you are a part of a national organization or are headquartered elsewhere, you are still invited to apply. Be sure to tell us how your program significantly impacts LA County.
● Systems Change Focus - Applicant’s organization or initiative must have a systems change focus. We define systems change as work that tackles the root causes of pressing social problems that produce inequitable outcomes. Systems change efforts (1) acknowledge the complex, interrelated political/social/financial factors contributing to a social problem, as well as the applicant organization’s role in this eco-system, and (2) seek to address the underlying policies, processes, relationships, behaviors, and power structures that are contributing to the problem. We are looking for organizations that are working to alter the status quo by transforming systems, and rethinking the boundaries of what is possible.
● Early Stage Endeavors - The program must be in the early stages of growth and development, but must have some proof of concept. Larger, established organizations may apply to the program only if their participation in the Accelerator would focus on a new, innovative program being developed or implemented by their organization.
● Organization Representative – The individual participating in the Accelerator on behalf of their organization must hold the title of Executive Director, CEO, or equivalent position with significant organization-wide decision-making responsibility, and should have at least six months of tenure with the organization. Participants should work or live in LA County in order to utilize the coaching resources available. We also invite additional organizational leaders to participate in some of the workshops.
● Organization Size, Years in Operation – There are no restrictions on size of organizational budget, staffing, or years in operation.
● Program Cost – There is no fee to participate in the program. Participants will spend between 6 – 20 hrs p/month over the course of the nine-month program.
● SVPLA Fast Pitch Alumni – Fast Pitch semifinalist organizations (those who did not present on stage) are eligible to apply. Fast Pitch finalist organizations (those who presented on stage) are not eligible for this program.
We welcome you to email us if you have any questions about eligibility, program participation requirements, or the application.
CONTACT: Sharon Stratton, Social Venture Partners | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org